Western Union and Money Order refunds…   3 comments

My first non technical post (I think)

I don’t think they really want you to easily get a refund on a money order. You have to sign a copy of THEIR affidavit saying that you purchased it if you don’t have the original receipt. They’ll tell you to call 800-999-9660 and request one. Well, I could never get a person on the phone, nor could I find a menu item to request one. I did finally find a copy online at:


Click on the link that says “Download Consumer Affidavit – Purchaser form”

You’ll also need a copy of the “Money Order Customer Request” form, which they sent me. Good luck, I couldn’t find it online. The only reason I have one is that I filed incorrectly, and then they sent me one.

Update… Looks like you can’t save that link. Go to http://www.westernunion.com/info/selectCountry.asp and select United States from the drop down. Click on the word “CONSUMER” under the “Send a Money Order” click on “Learn More”, then scroll down to “Download Consumer Affidavit – Purchaser Form”


This has been far and away my most popular post. If you discover they have changed things, please let me know so that I can update this post.

THANK YOU. 10/21/2010…


Posted May 29, 2008 by mmdmurphy in tips

Tagged with , ,

3 responses to “Western Union and Money Order refunds…

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. I just wanted to thank you for your web site; I have been trying to find the Western Union Money Order Affidavit for a month now. I have spoken to them so many times I can’t count. They have promised to fax it 5 times then when that didn’t come they promised to email it to me and as you can imagine that never came ether. I found your web site and it took me less than a minute to find what I needed and print it out myself

    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

    Jennifer Gallagher
  2. Nelly G.: Hi, my name is Nelly G.. How may I help you?
    azucena zarzoza: Hi
    azucena zarzoza: I am needing to know what the processing fee is for a Money order that was not cashed
    azucena zarzoza: 1800 line says $15
    azucena zarzoza: but this affidavit form says $30
    azucena zarzoza: I have the actual money order…just not the receipt
    Nelly G.: I would be happy to help you with that.
    Nelly G.: As you do not have the receipt, the fee will be $30 USD
    azucena zarzoza: even though I have the actual money order?
    Nelly G.: It is required to have the receipt, as you do not have it, you will need to complete the Affidavit form and the fee will be $30 USD
    Nelly G.: Further inquiries may be directed to our Retail Money Order department at 1-800-999-9660.
    Nelly G.: We apologize for any inconvenience.
    azucena zarzoza: lol NICE azucena zarzoza: okay thanks…. azucena zarzoza: one last question azucena zarzoza: sorry azucena zarzoza: ummm
    azucena zarzoza: is the affidavit form the only thing I need to send when requesting a return?
    Nelly G.: You will need to send the Affidavit form along with your payment
    azucena zarzoza: check is okay?
    Nelly G.: Yes, it is
    azucena zarzoza: thanks!

    OKAY LETS SEE WHAT HAPPENS….will post in 35 days.

  3. to the above comment , that info was 2010.. things have now changed they do now charge 30.00 to replace inaddition they now want a notary to stamp at a price of 35.00 no matter what …with or without the actual m.o. . mine was damaged thats it…and the store went out of business. heres the kicker it was only 100.00 the fees added up to 65.00…so you do the math..i end up with 35.00!!!!! WHAT SCAMMERS

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: